Give your wooden floors a modern white-washed look before applying a Bona Traffic Lacquer.
Bona White Primer is a professional water-based polyurethane tinted primer specially designed for wooden floors. It's best recommended use is for creating a scandinavian-style 'white-washed' effect. The intensity of the final white finish increases with the number of coats. If applied in a single layer the finish will typically preserve the impression of raw, untreated wood. Bona White is a highly forgiving formulation designed for easy roller application. For best impressions combine with Bona Traffic Natural, Bona Traffic HD or Bona Traffic HD Anti Slip lacquer.
Please Note: To optimise the white characteristics of the floor it is not recommended to over-coat with Bona Mega Varnish.
Areas of Use
Bona White is ideal for interior floor surfaces such as solid wood like Oak, Mahogany, Teak, Acacia, Ash and Walnut; and engineered wood such as Oak, Ash and Walnut. For a truly white impression, apply two or more layers. Highly forgiving formulation designed for easy roller application.
- White washed look
- Impedes wood yellowing
- Easy roller application
- GreenGuard approved for low indoor emissions
|Coverage||Approx 12m2 per litre|
|Drying Time||Touch dry and ready to recoat in 2–3 hours @ 20°C|
Natural look — 1 coat of Bona White Primer, then 2 coats of Bona Traffic
Whitewash look — 2 coats of Bona White Primer, then 1 coat of Bona Traffic
|Cleanup||Clean directly after using water|
|Storage||1 Year if can kept dry and firmly shut and away from direct sunlight|
We take health and safety seriously here at AllFinishes and recommend you use the correct protection for the job. Disregarding safety equipment can be damaging and result in long term health conditions. Please check out our Moldex range for high quality respirators and hearing protection.
Ensure floor is acclimatised to its end-use environment. The surface which is to be treated must be sanded back to bare wood, dry and free from sanding dust, oil, wax and other contaminants.
- For filling gaps between floor boards and skirting boards, use Bona Gap Master.
- For filling holes, splits, dents and other surface imperfections, use Bona Mix and Fill or Bona Mix and Fill Plus.
It is recommended to finalise the sanding with a Multi Disc.
Allow product to reach room temperature. Optimal application conditions are between 18–25C and 30–60% relative air humidity. High temperatures and low humidity shorten, low temperatures and high humidity lengthen drying time. Minimum temperature for use is 13°C.
- Shake container thoroughly before use and insert the supplied filter. Pour finish into the supplied container (box + bag).
- It is recommended to pour through an external strainer so as to minimize the potential for lumps.
- Apply Bona White using a microfibre roller (we recommend Bona Roller) at approx. 12 m²/lit (83 g/m²), avoiding accumulation of product.
- Start the application by stroking the roller along the room's edge (going wall to wall) along the grain of the wood
- Use a brush and reach all the way out to the edge
- Smooth brush application with the roller
- Stroke once again with the roller, but leave a small space between the previous roller strokes
- Close and smooth out the gap
- Repeat using the same method until the entire floor has been succefully treated
- When dry (approx. 2–3 hours), abrade to reduce grain raise using the Bona Scrad system or a sanding screen grit 150 or finer.
- Remove all dust after sanding.
If a more intense white look is desired, then apply an additional layer of Bona White before sealing the surface with one of Bona’s protective lacquers. It is not recommended to apply more than two full coats per day as this will increase the risk of excessive wood swelling.
Note: Bona White is primarily intended for strip and plank floors laid in falling lengths. The risk of visible application strokes increases if applying diagonally or across the grain of the wood.
Bona White should never be used as the final treatment for timber floors. It must be overcoated. To achieve the true white, scandinavian-style colour please overcoat with Bona Traffic HD or Bona Traffic HD Anti-slip.